Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Getting to Home Plate in the Game of Life

When I was growing up, my dad coached my brother's little league baseball team. I spent countless hours on a baseball diamond...packing & unpacking equipment bags, handing out water cups, leading cheers, and sometimes even arguing with umps. 

As I grew older, I started by watching people. I notice how gracefully they handled life's 95 mile per hour curve-balls (or not.)  I observed how they "trained." 

Next, I observed their close relationships with their family & others. 

I also realized that they created their own financial independence (regardless of their income.) 

And lastly, I watched them give back to others. 

It occurred to me that there were "rules," in life, just like in baseball.  

For example, a runner advances from the batter's box to 1st base, 2nd base, 3rd, and then home plate. You don't score a run for making it to first. The most beautiful triple doesn't count if you can't make it Home. 

My father (born in 1935) was raised to hit the ball and run straight to 3rd Base (Work) My mother was trained to always head to 2nd base (Family.) Both gave generously to others in time of volunteer work, but neither lingered on 1st Base (Mind, Body, Spirit.) I always seemed to get stuck at home (Giving Back to Others)...by giving time, money and talent to others before taking care of myself. Whether you are playing in Little League or the Big Leagues, if you don't first tag 1st base, the umpire will throw you out. 

Over the years, I've finally figured out how to traverse the playing field called, "Life." It starts by getting off the bench.

Once I got the hang of my priorities: Mind, Body, Spirit; Family & Close Relationships; Financial Independence; and Giving Back to others, I found myself Home. I found myself Happy. I found myself at Peace.  GETTING TO HOME PLATE IN THE GAME OF LIFE





No comments:

Post a Comment